A lot can happen in a year. A television show can backslide from addictively fun and action-packed to shark-jumpingly unwatchable (I’m not naming names, but a certain superhero show totally missed the bullseye last season. Oh, and it was Arrow). The movie you’ve been dying to see since pre-production began can finally be released and blow your friggin’ mind (Captain America: Civil War)! And I, your faithful Small Screen Girl, can embark on a journey to start on her television and pop culture blog, write a ton of articles, watch even more hours of television and learn priceless lessons along the way.
September 13th marks the first anniversary of this website, and while roughly 12% of me is shocked that it’s still going strong and gaining followers, the remaining 88% is inherently proud of the work that I’ve done and the fun that I’ve had while doing it!
In the coming year, I want my little corner of the internet to get bigger and more inclusive! I want to write more episode recaps and movie reviews. I want to share more of my millions of opinions on pop culture minutia. And I’d love you guys to do the same! Pop over to the right of your screen and like and follow me on the different social media thingies and let me know what you think of the site! You can also email me at email@example.com!
So birthdays usually mean cake—and trust me there will be cake or at least donuts—but they also mean you get to make wishes. I'm a little greedy, so I grabbed as many birthday wishes as I could and I'm using them for the greater good of entertainment!
If you've come here even once, thank you so much for visiting and I hope you find something here that brings you back!
Here are some of my biggest wishes for the upcoming television season, movies and more!
4 Heartbreaking Emmy Snubs
Much to my joy and overwhelming sadness are literally thousands of televisions shows to watch, binge-watch or, if you appreciate fantastic actors playing despicable people, hate-watch.
So with a varied and wonderful ocean of television, it’s nearly impossible for even the esteemed Television Academy to recognize all of the industry’s most talented for this year's Emmy nominations. Snubs are bound to happen, and as devastating as it is, we just have remember that it really is an honor to be nominated.
Here are 4 heartbreaking Emmy snubs...
With more quality television shows than ever before, it’s almost impossible for prestigious award shows, like the Emmys, to rightfully recognize the best of the best.
However, the 68th Annual Emmy Award nominations, announced last week by Anthony Anderson (black-ish) and Lauren Graham (Parenthood) last week, nearly did. It was a celebration of studio and racial diversity with HBO, streaming services like Netflix and Starz, as well as traditional cable and broadcast stations racking up nominations. FX’s The People V. O.J. Simpson scored 22 awards while Game of Thrones edged them out with 23.
There was no chance of #EmmysSoWhite with nearly a quarter of the nominees being non-white talent, and it genuinely is a fairer representation of television’s cornucopia of talent.
Here’s seven reasons why this year’s Emmy nominations are the best in years…
Small Screen Girl
I am an unabashed pop culture and TV-aholic with no plans to ever seek treatment. Explore this blog and see just how deep my obsession goes.